Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving in Africa

This is our first Thanksgiving away from family and our first Thanksgiving in Africa. Not really sure how I feel about it yet. It is kind of weird because it doesn't feel like Thanksgiving here. No cool weather or fall colors, only hot and humid. I did find a turkey that weighs about 9lbs and cost me about $35 and it is from the US with English writing. Tonight at the compound some Americans got together and had Thanksgiving at the Club House but we chose to wait until this weekend. There is no holiday for Thanksgiving in Angola so we will be doing our regular routine of work and school tomorrow. Sunday we are going to have over 2 families that we have became friends with here. One is American and one is from Egypt. In Egypt do not celebrate Thanksgiving either but they said they would love to join in on our tradition. Kenny is going to fry a couple of Turkeys and I have one can of pumpkin, that I bought from a pantry sale, that I am going to make a pumpkin roll out of then have corn and green beans and crescent rolls. Definitely not your normal Thanksgiving meal but we will make due with what we have. No dumplings or pecan pie this year unfortunately. I guess at Christmas we will have to make up for what we missed. This summer when we come back I will come more prepared for Thanksgiving for sure.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all our friends and family. We miss you all lots and will see you in 17 days!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment