Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Leaving

I have put this post off because I know it will lead to me crying. I am sure most everyone knows by now that we are leaving Angola on December 29th. It is for sure bittersweet. I knew we would be leaving this year but expected it to be in June. When we found out 2 weeks ago that it was happening in December instead my heart dropped. I just wasn't prepared to leave already. If I was in my first 3 months here I would have jumped on the opportunity to leave. It's different now with friends and being involved at the school and the compound.

Things I will miss about Angola(yes I said MISS)! The school....the boys love it here and the school. They are doing so well in school and have made so many friends in the short time we have been here. The teaching method here works for my boys. The compound....it is so nice that the boys can come home from school and go play without me having to worry about them. Every one's doors are open at all times to any child in the compound. I know that anyone in this compound would help or correct my boys and I am so thankful for that. The pace.....life here is so much slower and laid back. Baptista....for sure Baptista has been the best driver ever. He has become much more than just a driver for us. He has became a part of our family. We will miss him so much.

Sela....I don't know what I would do without her. Other than cleaning my house she has become a great friend. She is awesome with the boys and has also became part of our family. She is someone I will never forget.

Friends....I have made some of the greatest friends living here. Bev...I really just got to know her this year being on the PTA together. I wish I had gotten to know her sooner. She has truly been a blessing in my life and I will always remember her Scottish words. I hope to see her someday in the US.

Mimi....She is someone I will always remember. She is so sweet and caring and would do anything for anyone. I will forever remember "The Mimi mobile" as my boys call it.

Helen....is one of the most energetic, positive, motivating and nicest person I know. I can honestly say she has changed my life. She believed in me when I didn't. There were many nights I thought I am not going to exercise class tomorrow and she must have been reading my mind. When I checked my email before bed there would be an email from her saying what a strong woman I am and how much she enjoys me being at class and what a good job I am doing. Who could skip class after that!! 

I have saved the best for last....KATIE!!! What would I have done in Angola without her. She has been my rock when I needed it. She has been my shoulder to cry on. She has been my shopping companion. She has kept me out of trouble...most of the time. She has kept me from volunteering for things she knew I didn't want to do and she has even volunteered us for things I didn't want to do(PTA). I have to say PTA has been fun though. Thanks Katie!! She has taught me that I am stronger than I thought I was. She is my happy on days I didn't think I could survive another day here. She has taught me how to  sew and even made me learn a little Portuguese along the way. It will definitely not be the same not seeing her smiling face everyday. Believe it or not I will even miss sacking her groceries when we go shopping. Even though I will be many, many miles away I still expect to talk to her on a daily basis!!! I know God has put her in my life for a reason and we will meet again someday soon. Katie you will always be something more than a friend to me. I have made some great friends here in Luanda but you are something special that not many people get to experience. Thank you for being there for me this last year and a half. It has made living in a place like Luanda a true blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment